Therapy Dog Training
ADOPT A CERTIFIED THERAPY DOG
New Leash On Life offers individuals the unique ability to adopt a Certified Therapy Dog. Our rescue dogs that are selected for therapy work have a comprehensive training and evaluation period. We focus our level of training to create well-mannered, balanced, calm and social companions. We ensure that the dog is comfortable with following directions from any handler. The dogs are taken to various locations throughout the community and “proofed” against real life every day distractions and obstacles. Once LAP dogs have completed all training, they are available for adoption by those in need of a personal Therapy Dog. In addition to the adoption process, adopters are required to attend training and successfully pass the Certification Test.
CERTIFY YOUR DOG AS A THERAPY DOG
You may be able to obtain certification if your dog has the right temperament to be a Therapy dog.
- Your dog must have an even temperament and be eager and willing to meet new people. Therapy work cannot be forced on a dog. He or she must look forward to working in public and visiting people.
- Your dog must be at least 1 year old, spayed or neutered, and up to date on all vaccinations.
- Your dog must be a graduate of obedience training with a Certificate of Completion and pass the Certification Test. The test is designed to determine your dog's character and ability to handle stressful situations in both quiet and unpredictable environments. New Leash On Life provides Basic Obedience Training and testing for dogs and handlers.
- Handlers are also required to pass this test to determine their ability to interact with a wide variety and volumme of people, to evaluate your dog’s comfort level and to be proactive in guiding your dog’s behavior in various situations.
JOIN THE LAP TEAM with YOUR THERAPY DOG
To become an active and qualified member of the New Leash On Life LAP program or to maintain an active status all Handlers and Dogs must successfully qualify as follows:
- Dog must be a graduate of Obedience Training with a Certificate of Completion.
- Dogs must be at least 1 year old, spayed or neutered, and up to date on all vaccinations.
- Handler and Dog must be evaluated by enrolling in a certification class
- Handler and Dog must pass the Lend a Paw Certification Test (see sample below).
- A physical exam for the Dog by a CA licensed vet is required.
- Both must complete 6 hours of supervised volunteer visits to be fully certified and cleared for solo visits.
- Both must complete 6 or more visits per year(every other month) on the LAP Visitation Tour (see "places we visit").
- Service hours must be posted at www.ourvolts.com
- Both must attend 2 or more quarterly team meetings per year.
- Annual re-certification by NLOL is required from Handler and DOg to maintain an "active" status.
All new Lend a Paw certified and registered** dogs are provided with a Therapy Dog vest, ID cards & a holder for handler and dog and a Lend a Paw T-shirt for the handler. All active and qualified Lend A Paw volunteer handlers are insured under the New Leash On Life Volunteer IDD policy. Handlers with expired certifications are not insured andr Dogs are never insured.
|Basic Obedience||Starting at $250.00|
|Therapy Dog Training *||Starting at $1,900.00|
|Advanced Training *||Starting at $3,500.00|
|LAP Evaluation / Certification Test||$50.00 (waived for active LAP handlers)|
|LAP Registration Fee**||$100.00|
*Completion of Basic Obedience is required.
LEND A PAW CERTIFICATION Schedule
|LOCATION||DATE & TIME|
|NLOL RANCH - Training Center||Saturday JANUARY 11, 2014 10:30 am|
|NLOL RANCH - Training Center||Saturday MARCH 22, 2014 10:30 am|
|NLOL RANCH - Training Center||Saturday MAY 24, 2014 10:30 am|
LAP CERTIFICATION APP - Enrollment deadline is the previous Saturday by 10:30 am
Please contact The LendAPaw Team for more info. Space is limited.